Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

International News

Yemen’s warring factions renew ceasefire by two months: UN

#Yemens #warring #factions #renew #ceasefire #months

The warring factions in Yemen agreed to extend a four-month ceasefire by a further two months just hours before it expired, the United Nations said on Tuesday.

Yemen has been gripped by conflict since Iran-backed Houthi rebels took control of the capital Sana’a in 2014, sparking a Saudi-led military intervention in support of the besieged government the following year.

But a ceasefire came into effect on April 2 and was extended on June 4, giving most of the country a rare respite from the violence and easing some of the suffering.

The latest extension from August 2 to October 2 “includes a commitment by the parties to intensify negotiations to reach an enhanced ceasefire agreement as soon as possible,” UN special envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said in a statement .

Hundreds of thousands have died, both directly and indirectly, and millions have been displaced in what the UN calls the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

“The main objective of the current ceasefire remains to provide tangible assistance to the civilian population and create a favorable environment for a peaceful settlement of the conflict through a comprehensive political process,” added Grundberg.

– “Progress slowed down” –

More than two-thirds of Yemen’s 30 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance, a UN official said last month, and the country has been pushed to the brink of famine.

As part of the truce, commercial flights have resumed from the rebel-held capital Sanaa to Jordan and Egypt, while oil tankers have been able to dock in the vital port of Hodeida, also in Houthi hands.

The extension of the ceasefire was welcomed on Tuesday by aid organizations working to help those affected by the conflict.

“Millions of Yemenis are suffering from soaring food prices, a lack of health care and other essential services, and dwindling economic opportunities,” said Abdulwasea Mohammed of the aid organization Oxfam.

“Now is the time for all parties – and the international community – to work towards a lasting and inclusive peace that guarantees the life, dignity and freedom of the Yemeni people.”

On Monday, 30 aid organizations working in Yemen said that since the ceasefire came into force on April 2, “the number of civilian casualties has decreased significantly”.

The aid groups, including Yemeni and international organizations, called on “all parties to the conflict to abide by the civilian protection agreement and extend it across the country.”

But Erin Hutchinson, Yemen country director of the Norwegian Refugee Council, urged caution.

“Having seen rapid and decisive action towards the success of the ceasefire in the first few months, progress towards fulfilling all of its elements has slowed,” Hutchinson said.

“We hope this two-month extension will allow roads to reopen between cities and regions, allow more displaced people to return safely to their homes, and ensure humanitarian aid can reach people who have been inaccessible for far too long.”

Social Tags:
#Yemens #warring #factions #renew #ceasefire #months

You May Also Like

Business

State would join dozens of others in enacting legislation based on federal government’s landmark whistleblower statute, the False Claims Act

press release

With a deep understanding of the latest tech, Erbo helps businesses flourish in a digital world.

press release

#Automotive #Carbon #Canister #Market #Projected #Hit #USD New York, US, Oct. 24, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) —  According to a comprehensive research report by Market...

press release

Barrington Research Analyst James C.Goss reiterated an Outperform rating on shares of IMAX Corp IMAX with a Price target of $20. As theaters...