#Firefighters #mega #fire #southern #France

A massive fire that devastated 650 hectares (1,600 acres) and forced people to evacuate in southern France was brought under control, the fire service said on Saturday.
Up to 950 firefighters supported by aircraft have been deployed in the southern Gard region, but the “critical phase” is now over, said fire department spokesman Lt. Col. Eric Agrinier.
“For now the fire is contained. That means we don’t think it can spread any further,” he added.
Around 520 firefighters are still on the scene in the area, which is 90 kilometers (55 miles) north of Montpellier and the Mediterranean coast, he said.
The spokesman said units would continue to treat and monitor meter by meter the edges of the fire to avoid any risk of the blaze worsening, with temperatures exceeding 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees Fahrenheit), wind and low humidity as risk factors.
The blaze, described by rescue workers as a “mega-fire,” started near the village of Bordezac, forcing evacuations from nearby Besseges and other settlements on Thursday evening.
The local prefect’s office had said around 100 people were staying in holiday homes and restaurants in the area.
Like much of the country, south-east France has suffered from drought this year, which has increased the risk of fire.
During a seasonally unseasonal heatwave last month, around 600 hectares were burned in a fire sparked by shelling at an army artillery range near the Mediterranean port city of Marseille.
French security services advised citizens to remain very cautious throughout the “Mediterranean zone” until Sunday “because of a very high risk of fire”.
Social Tags:
#Firefighters #mega #fire #southern #France































