05/24/2010 // West Palm Beach, FL, USA // Tara Monks // Tara Monks
Miami, FL – A Sarasota man was awarded over $14 million by a Miami-Dade jury after it was decided that the asbestos he inhaled in the 1970s caused his rare and deadly abdominal cancer, as reported by The Miami Herald. William Aubin suffers from peritoneal mesothelioma.
The jury found Union Carbide, one of the largest chemical and polymer companies in the U.S., was negligent for selling asbestos fibers to other manufacturers that used the fibers to make joint compounds used by construction companies.
According to the lawsuit, Aubin’s parents founded Aubin Construction on Key Biscayne in the 1960s and used the asbestos-containing compounds. Aubin, now 59, worked in his parents’ company after they transferred it to Sarasota, thus exposing him to the deadly compounds.
Aubin’s attorney argued the products were not labeled as asbestos-containing .
The decision also found four of the compound manufacturers, including Georgia-Pacific, share responsibility for causing Aubin’s terminal condition.
Peritoneal mesothelioma is a cancer that attacks the lining of the abdominal cavity and organs. It is typically fatal, and according to Aubin’s lawyers, has “permanently impaired” Aubin, and will eventually cause his death.
This jury decision follows an April 2008 decision that awarded $24 million to a Weston man who contracted the same disease.
Attorneys for the plaintiff expect Union Carbide to appeal the verdict.
Phone: (866) 598-1315